Hazardous Waste

Bulb Waste

Generators of bulb waste are required to comply with rules and regulations promulgated by federal, state and local regulatory agencies. The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) specifies disposal requirements and the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality licenses, inspects and regulates generators, and disposal facilities handling waste.

The safety guidelines, regulations and procedures presented are intended to help generators comply with governmental rules and regulations designed to protect human health and the environment. Strict compliance with these regulations ensures the waste is managed, transported, and disposed of safely and properly while reducing potential liability to the University.

  • All types and sizes of bulbs are accepted in the OSEH Hazardous Materials Management (HMM) bulb collection/recycling program.
  • All bulbs should be carefully packaged to prevent breakage. Repackage bulbs in original boxes, if possible, and close and seal both ends. New boxes or drums are available for pickup at the Bulb Trailer and at OSEH’s North Campus Transfer Facility (NCTF) at 1655 Dean Road, 763-4568.
  • Bulbs must be kept in a secure, dry location.
  • All bulb boxes and drums must have a "Bulb Label" affixed to the container. Fill out the label, including the "Accumulation Start Date." The accumulation start date is the first day that you begin filling the container with bulbs. Include the building name and type/quantity of bulbs in box or drum. Bulb labels can be ordered by contacting HMM at 763-4568.
    Bulb Label
    Bulb Label
  • Labels are available at NCTF, the Bulb Trailer, CSSB or by contacting HMM at 763-4568.
  • Stack boxes so that the label is clearly visible during storage.
  • Bulbs may not be accumulated for longer than one year. Bulbs should only be accumulated for 10 months or less to ensure compliance.
  • Zone Maintenance: Transport bulbs to the Bulb Trailer located in the northeast corner of the Transportation Lot (inside the fenced area). Bulbs can also be transported to OSEH’s North Campus Transfer Facility. Make certain all containers are closed, sealed, and labeled properly.
  • Faculty and staff: Contact Zone Maintenance for pick-ups at 647-2059.


Contact HMM at 763-4568 for delivery of waste containers. Containers are also available for pick up at the North Campus Transfer Facility. 4 foot boxes, 8 foot boxes, and fiber bulb drums can be order from HMM for the collection of spent bulb waste.

Bulb Containers
Bulb Containers Available From HMM

Additional Information