Hazardous Waste

Consumer Electronic Waste

Generators of waste consumer electronics (e-waste) are required to comply with rules and regulations promulgated by federal, state and local regulatory agencies. The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) specifies disposal requirements and the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality licenses, inspects and regulates generators, and disposal facilities handling waste.

The safety guidelines, regulations and procedures presented are intended to help generators comply with governmental rules and regulations designed to protect human health and the environment. Strict compliance with these regulations ensures the waste is managed, transported, and disposed of safely and properly while reducing potential liability to the University.

  • Property Disposition is responsible for the accountable disposal of University of Michigan property designated as surplus by university departments. They may recycle, sell, or dispose of surplus. Occasionally, Property Disposition will direct the department with the surplus electronics to arrange for disposal through OSEH. Such electronics are then considered e-waste.
  • Containers of e-waste must have a green "Universal Waste" label affixed and filled out. Universal waste labels can be ordered by contacting HMM at 763-4568.
    Universal Waste Label
    Universal Waste Label
  • All e-waste must be sent for recycling within one year of the accumulation start date. However, e-waste should only be accumulated for 10 months or less to ensure compliance.
  • For labels or collections, contact OSEH Hazardous Materials Management at 763-4568.


Contact HMM at 763-4568 for delivery of waste containers. Containers are available for pick up at the North Campus Transfer Facility.

Gaylord Container
Gaylord Container

Additional Information