Radiation Safety

Radioactive Materials / X-Rays in Animals


Each investigator, who wishes to use radioactive material in animals, must submit a written protocol to the Radiation Policy Committee including at least the information required on a RSS-101 Form "Application for Authorization to Use Radioactive Material" (if not previously submitted) and the information required on the attached "Supplementary Information - Section 9 RSS-101 Form".

In addition, if the animals to be used are vertebrates, the investigator must have filed an "Animal Use Application" with the University Committee on Use and Care of Animals (UCUCA).

Work involving radioactive material in animals may not begin until the investigator has been approved by the Radiation Policy Committee, as well as by UCUCA.