Aboveground Storage TanksPlan Review and Certification
The following AST conditions must be plan reviewed and certified by the DEQ:
- Any flammable compressed gas or liquefied petroleum gas container filling location;
- A facility that supplies flammable compressed gas or any liquefied petroleum gas which has a tank with a water capacity of more than 2,000 gallons or two or more tanks with an aggregate water capacity of more than 4,000 gallons; or
- A facility that supplies flammable liquids or combustible liquid which has an individual tank storage capacity of more than 1,100 gallons and contains a liquid with a flash point of less than 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- A plan review installation application located at http://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/deq-std-eqp3859_249275_7.pdf is required for:
- Flammable Liquid/Combustible Liquid (FL/CL) and heating oil installations with a storage capacity greater than 1,100 gallons.
- All compressed natural gas dispensing stations with storage.
- All Liquid petroleum gas container-filling locations or tanks with a water capacity greater than 2,000 gallons or two or more tanks with a water capacity greater than 4,000 gallons.
- A facility site plan showing locations of storage tanks, buildings, property lines, etc must be submitted with the application.
- FL/CL and heating oil tanks with 1,100 gallons or greater storage capacity must be inspected by the DEQ before put in service;
- Liquid petroleum gas tanks with 2,000 gallons or water capacity or any container filling station must be inspected by the DEQ before put in service; and
- Compressed natural gas tanks with storage must be inspected on a triennial basis.
- A certification fee of $203 per tank is assessed and submitted with the plan review application.
- AST systems require an annual $61.50 registration fee.
Please note all MDEQ communication and submittals go through the OSEH department. Contact OSEH at 936-1920 for more information.