Proper Labeling of Containers of LLRW
Every container of LLRW (including, but not limited to, the following: 4L and 20L plastic jugs for liquid wastes; boxes for LSC vials and stock vials; 7.5 gallon and 28 gallon yellow fiber drums for solid wastes; and sharps containers) must be labeled with a Container Label which incorporated the following information.
- Manifest # - (e.g. R-00001 which is pre-printed on the upper right corner of the LLRW Manifest form). Note: Every container of waste that is recorded on the LLRW Manifest must be labeled with the corresponding Manifest number (R-_____) on that form.
- Container #:
- Solids-Indicate the Drum # (i.e. SD-5364 or LD-5125) which is unique to each fiber drum, corresponding to the listing on the LLRW Manifest.
- Sharps-Indicate the Container # (1-4) corresponding to the listing on the LLRW Manifest form.
- Liquids-Indicate the Jug # (1-8) corresponding to the listing on the LLRW Manifest form.
- Scintillation Vials-Indicate the Box # (1-5) corresponding to the listing on the LLRW Manifest form.
- Date - Please list the date that each individual container is filled. (month/day/year)
- Isotope / Activity - Please list all isotopes present along with corresponding activities in units of microcuries (µCi).
- Once this information is recorded on the Container Label remove the adhesive tabs (ends only) off the back of the label and affix the adhesive to the following locations for each type of container:
- Fiber Drums - Affix label to designated site (i.e. vinyl label on upper side of large yellow fiber drums and on lower side of small yellow fiber drums).
- Sharps Pails - Place label around handle and affix the two adhesive ends together.
- Plastic Jugs - Insert label through handle and affix the two adhesive ends together.
- LSC & Stock Vial Boxes - Affix label to top of box.
NOTE: If any container of LLRW prepared for pick-up is not properly labeled, as outlined in the above guidelines, HMM personnel will not collect the materials.