Within the scope of biohazard risks in the research laboratory, recombinant DNA (rDNA) deserves special mention. Genetically modified organisms that are also pathogens have been the focus of attention since the early 1970’s. OSEH-Biological Safety provides Biosafety Officer (BSO) services to the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), that oversees this work on the U-M Campuses, including the regional campuses at Flint and Dearborn. These services include research protocol review and biosafety risk assessment, inspections, reporting, and training of research staff on the unique risks associated with rDNA.
- UM Biosafety Office designated standards for UM laboratories for compliance with the intent fo the BMBL guidance
- Online Registration for Recombinant DNA Work (Institutional Biosafety Committee)
- OSEH BL2 Recombinant/Infectious Agent Inspection Form
- Recombinant DNA Guidelines 2009 (CDC/NIH)
- Additional BSL2 Practices
Agent Standard Operating Procedures