Safety First Recognition Award
The Safety First Recognition Award celebrates U-M employees who excel in creating and maintaining a safe workplace. Find out what it takes to win, and how to nominate someone.
"The University of Michigan has a long history of conducting high quality research that helps educate our students and benefits the world. We are proud to continue U-M's strong commitment to those ideals and are equally committed to the health and welfare of our faculty, staff, students and community...For all of us, quality research is safe research. We very much appreciate your support of research safety efforts at U-M."
About the award
U-M's commitment to safety depends on the willingness of every individual to pursue a safe, healthful, and environmentally sound work place. Occupational Safety & Environmental Health (OSEH) recognizes employees who are making U-M a SAFE place with the Safety First Recognition Award.
U-M employees are eligible. Click here to read about previous award recipients.
Individuals and work groups from the U-M Ann Arbor campus are eligible. OSEH selects winners from nominations received from the U-M community. Winners will be recognized and receive an award.
Nominations are due no later than November 21st 2015
Nominees must satisfy at least 1 or more of the 5 criteria listed below:
- Outstanding in-house safety program – For broad implementation of safety throughout the workplace.
- Active role in safety – For being a strong advocate of health and safety.
- Improvement – For demonstrating significant improvement over previous conditions.
- Consistency – For maintaining an outstanding safety program over a number of years.
- Product or process development and implementation – For special effort given to a specific aspect of safety at U-M.
Judges will look for:
- Evidence the individual or work group went above and beyond their job duties
- Overall impact to department/stakeholders/U-M community as a whole
- Information that validates the benefits of this nomination to the department
The committee is comprised of OSEH staff members representing various OSEH program areas. The committee will review the nominations and determine the award recipient.
The safety first award recipient will be notified.
Contact SafetyFirstRewards@umich.edu with your questions.