Falls from portable ladders are a leading cause of occupational injuries. To prevent injuries, always follow the following steps:
- Select the proper ladder based on the work to be performed. Factors to consider are working height, task to be performed, type of material for ladder (i.e. wood ladder best for electrical work)
- Use ladders with the proper load rating. Need to consider both the weight of the person and any equipment being used.
- Inspect ladders before use. Tag defective ladders "DO NOT USE" and remove from service.
- Follow ladder safety rules.
Refer to OSEH’s Scaffold, Ladder and Fall Protection Guideline for assistance in implementing fall protection for your Department.
Please contact OSEH at 7-1142 for more information including scaffold and fall protection training.
Useful External Links
- OSHA: Stairways & Ladders